Skip to main content
Department of Justice
About the Department
About the Department Header
Print page

Victims of Crime

What's new

1 August 2018
Review of the Victims of Crime Act 1994

The Department of Justice is inviting feedback on the future of the Victims of Crime Act 1994.

The Act contains guidelines for how victims of crime should be treated, and authorises certain Government agencies to share information about victims so that support services can be offered.

The review will consider how well the Act is working, and whether it should be expanded to address additional matters that are important to victims of crime.
Refer to the discussion paper for more details.

You can provide feedback by email to or by calling the Office of the Commissioner for Victims of Crime on 9264 9877

28 July 2018
Review of the Criminal Injures Compensation Scheme in Western Australia

The Department of Justice is inviting feedback on the future of the scheme which provides compensation for criminal injuries in Western Australia.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Act 2003 establishes the Criminal Injuries Compensation scheme and Office of Criminal Injuries Compensation and prescribes the functions, powers and procedures of that office.

This review will consider whether the current Criminal Injuries Compensation scheme is still the most appropriate model for Western Australia. Refer to the discussion paper for more details.

Written submissions are welcomed and can be directed to the below address prior to the close of business on Friday 31 August 2018.

The Office of the Executive Director
Court and Tribunal Services
Level 17, International House
26 St Georges Terrace


As a victim of crime, making decisions can be difficult and confusing. It is important to know how or where to get information and support. During this time, it is vital that a victim is treated with courtesy, compassion and respect.

A priority of the Department of Justice is to give victims of crime access to quality services and a stronger voice in the justice process. By allowing victims a more formal role in the criminal justice system, the Department can significantly contribute to restoring a victim’s sense of wellbeing.

The Department is responsible for a range of services which offer advocacy and support to victims of crime in Western Australia.

Those services include:

Victim Support Service

The Victim Support Service offers confidential counselling and support services to victims of crime. These services are provided by professional counsellors and trained volunteers.

Under the Victims of Crime Act 1994, victims are defined as:

  • people who suffer injury or loss as a direct result of an offence
  • any member of the immediate family where an offence results in the death of an individual.

The Victim Support Service can:

  • provide information on the status of police investigations
  • provide information about court proceedings
  • help write a victim impact statement
  • provide counselling and support  
  • support victims during court proceedings
  • provide information and referrals for other services
  • help you understand your rights within the criminal justice system
  • help with enquiries about criminal injuries compensation claims.

Refer to the Victim Support Service for further information.

Contact details

Victim Support Services
Level 2, District Court Building
500 Hay Street

Phone: (08) 9425 2850

Criminal Injuries Compensation

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme enables victims of crime to apply for compensation for injury or loss sustained as a result of an offence or alleged offence.

You may be eligible to claim compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Act if you are a;

  • victim of an offence and are injured and/or experienced financial loss as a result
  • close relative of a person killed as the result of an offence, eg a spouse, defacto, parent, grandparent, step-parent, child, step-child or grand-child.

Compensation can be sought for an incident reported to the police regardless of whether a person has been identified, charged or convicted of the offence.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme is designed to provide compensation if you suffer bodily harm, mental or nervous shock or pregnancy resulting from an offence.

Compensation may cover:

  • pain and suffering
  • loss of enjoyment of life
  • loss of income
  • medical or psychological expenses
  • other incidental expenses, such as travel for medical treatment or damage of clothing.

In the case of a death, a close relative can apply for funeral expenses and loss of financial support.

Refer to the Criminal Injuries Compensation process for further information.

Contact details

Criminal Injuries Compensation
GPO Box F317
Phone: (08) 9425 3250

Commissioner for Victims of Crime

The Commissioner for Victims of Crime has particular responsibility to ensure that both members of the public and government agencies are aware of the Victims of Crime Act 1994 and of their corresponding rights and responsibilities under that Act.

The Commissioner:

  • Provides high level advice and expertise to the Director General and the Attorney General on issues surrounding victims of crime in Western Australia.
  • Monitors and reviews the effect of all elements of the justice system on victims of crime with a particular focus on Police and court practices and procedures.
  • Builds and sustains effective communication and working relationships with key stakeholders, victims of crime, government agencies and industry representatives.

Contact details

Commissioner for Victims of Crime
GPO Box F317
Phone: (08) 9264 9877

Family Violence Service

The Family Violence Service provides information and support in dealing with violence in intimate or family relationships, including those between:

  • partners - married, defacto or otherwise
  • ex-partners
  • same sex couples
  • family members
  • children of either member of a couple
  • live-in carers

The free and confidential service provides information, advocacy and support to people who have experienced violence in their relationships.

Specially trained staff can help with:

  • discussing specific violence issues and the options available to deal with them
  • developing a safety plan
  • applying for a violence restraining order
  • completing court-related documents
  • applying for a violence restraining order
  • preparing for court and in-court support
  • information about court matters
  • accessing services such as counselling, police, legal assistance, medical care and other relevant agencies.

If you are a victim of a family violence offence and charges are laid, the offender may appear in one of the metropolitan Family Violence Courts. The Family Violence Courts deal exclusively with family violence matters to support victims and ensure their safety. It also makes family violence offenders more accountable for their behaviour.

Refer to the Family Violence Service for further information.

Contact details

Family Violence Services
Central Law Courts
Ground Floor, 501 Hay Street
Phone: (08) 9425 2459

Child Witness Service

The Child Witness Service provides emotional support and practical preparation for children under 18 years of age who are to give evidence to a court.

The children involved can be victims or witnesses to any criminal charge, in any court. This includes the Magistrates Court, Children's Court, District Court or Supreme Court.

The court process can add to the stress of a child victim. However, ensuring they are adequately prepared as a witness can reduce their emotional stress and enable them to better participate in court proceedings.

The Child Witness Service aims to:

  • reduce the trauma experienced by a child witness through their involvement in the legal process
  • work with the WA Police and the Director of Public Prosecutions to ensure a child witness and their family are kept fully informed about the progress of a case through the courts
  • help a child witness prepare a victim impact statement, even if the child is not required to give evidence
  • liaise with the relevant counsellor or provide consultation/advocacy on behalf of a child witness with Government agencies
  • research the needs of child witnesses
  • heighten the awareness of professionals to the issues, needs and problems faced by child witnesses.

Refer to the Child Witness Service. for further information.

Contact details

Child Witness Service
Level 2, District Court Building
500 Hay Street

Phone: (08)9425 2850

Victim-offender Mediation Unit

The Victim-offender Mediation Unit (VMU) provides a mediation service between victims of crime and offenders.

This service is available to both adult and juvenile offenders and the respective victims of their crimes.

The mediation is free, impartial and private and 2 types are offered:

  • protective conditions
  • reparative mediation.

Offenders on parole or community-based orders are not permitted to contact their victim(s) under Department of Corrective Service's victim/offender contact policy without Victim-offender Mediation Unit approval.

If a victim agrees to have contact with the offender, VMU will monitor all contact for as long as necessary.

Refer to the Victim-offender Mediation Unit for further information.

Contact details

Victim-offender Mediation Unit
Level 13
26 St Georges Terrace
Phone: (08) 9425 3200

Victim Notification Register

Under the Victims of Crime Act 1994, victims can request to be informed about the impending release or escape of an offender in custody.

The Victim Notification Register (VNR) provides information about the court and correctional management of an offender to victims of crime once the offender is under the supervision of the Department of Justice.

The VNR does not make any decisions related to the sentencing and/or correctional management of an offender. 

Upon release of an offender to a community based order, the VNR can provide the victim with information about the location of the Community Justice Service reporting centre only. Personal information about the offenders, including reporting appointments, is not available.

Even if the offence happened a long time ago – as long as the offender is either in custody or on parole, you are eligible to register and be kept informed.

Registering yourself is voluntary and subject to eligibility.

Refer to the Victim Notification Register for further information.

Contact details

Victim Notification Register
Level 2 Low Rise
District Court Building
500 Hay Street
Phone: (08) 9425 2870

Last updated: 15-Oct-2018

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | HR Kiosk
Department of Justice |  Births, Deaths and Marriages | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.